Graduated from National College of Arts Lahore in year 2000 with “Honors” in the field of Miniature Painting and since then his work has been widely exhibited nationally and internationally.
He is one among few contemporary Pakistani artists who have recently turned to this ancient Mughal tradition, fusing it with modern elements. His work highlights intricate and delicate brush-work which lends an exclusive distinctiveness to his pieces. During the course of his practice, Waseem has played with a diversity of ideas. His work shows glimpses of contemporary socio-political events; some employs paintings of the old Western masters.
Waseem has participated extensively in solo and group shows nationally and internationally since year 2001 till date. He was also nominated in the top 10 finalists for Sovereign Asian Art Prize 2013-14 and 2012-13. His work is published in many national and international publications a few including
• Salima Hashmi, The Eye Still Seeks, Pakistani Contemporary Art, Penguin Books India, 2015
• Virginia Whiles, Art and Polemic in Pakistan: Cultural Politics and Tradition in Contemporary in Miniature Painting, International Library of Cultural studies, Tauris Academic Studies, 2010
• Ali Salwat, Journeys of the Spirit: Pakistan Art in the New Millennium, Fomma (Foundation of Museum of Modern art) in association with Pakistan National Council of the Arts, Pakistan, 2008
• Athar Tahir, Pakistan Colors, Oxford Univerity Press, 2001
• David Rukhsana, Contemporary Miniature Painting in Lahore 1980-2007, Lahore College for Women University, Lahore
Waseem has also been teaching this traditional and contemporary form of art since 2001 till present and his students have also excelled in this field under his guidance.
He has been a part of many national and international workshops and residency programs. His work has also been auctioned in prestigious auction houses like Sotheby’s, Christie’s and Bonhams since 2008 till date and his work is also in Private Collections of Museum für Asiatische Kunst, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin, and British Museum London.